SLPA Licensure Pathway FAQs


Can I complete the online course and the field experience at the same time?

Unfortunately, no. Our program is set up to complete the coursework in the summer and the field experience in the fall. 

I am graduating in the spring, so don't have my degree yet? Can I still apply?

Yes! You can apply to the program if you are graduating in spring in one of the required degree programs. You'll need to submit unofficial transcripts when you apply.

I have a communications degree? Can I still apply?

As specified by the California state licensing board, speech-language pathology assistants, and therefore our program applicants, must hold a bachelor’s degree in speech-language pathology; communication sciences and disorders; speech, language and hearing sciences; or similar, with a minimum 3.0 GPA. A communications studies degree or other degrees not equivalent to a speech-language pathology degree are not eligible. If you're unsure whether your degree is equivalent, please send an email with an unofficial transcript BEFORE you apply and we'll let you know.

Some programs only require 100 hours of field experience. Why does your program require 275 hours?

Our program director and faculty decided to offer the semester-long, 275-hour field experience because it provides more in-depth experience working with patients/clients/students. While the 100-hour minimum meets the licensure requirement, our participants benefit greatly from the additional hours and many finish the semester with a job offer, in large part due to the additional training. It’s a competitive field and we want our program graduates to be career ready and have the best chance of securing a good position.

Do I need to secure my own field experience?

Our Instructor and SLPA Field Experience ​Coordinator
can help find and arrange for fieldwork placements. However, applicants who can work in northern California (Butte, Glenn, Tehama, and Yuba counties), or in the areas of Sacramento/Rocklin/Roseville, San Diego/Chula Vista/Poway, or the Fresno area may be given preference during application reviews.

Can I complete my field experience outside of California?

If your goal is to be licensed in the State of California, you must complete your field experience in California with a supervising SLP who has California licensure and has been practicing at least two years. 

Is financial aid available? 

Federal loans or financial aid are not available for this program. Other options, such as loans, may be available.