Computer Science Supplementary Authorization Program FAQs

How do I apply and register for classes?

There is no formal application to the University. Simply fill out an online form, and we will notify you of your eligibility to participate.

Do I have to apply to the university?

No, there’s no formal admission to the university, as this is a special session professional development program. You’ll be set up with a student account and the academic units will show on a Chico State transcript, but there’s no formal application or admission. If you successfully complete the program, you will apply for the credential authorization through CTC, however.

Are fees paid all at once or can I make payments?

Fees are paid on a class-by-class basis at the time of registration. Each class registration deadline will be listed on the Courses & Registration page when they become available.

Are scholarships or financial assistance available?

As a part-time (below 12 units/semester) program that does not culminate in one of the eligible credential classifications, this program is not available for federal loans or financial aid. You may, however, be eligible for other options, such as loans. Program fees are paid on a class-by-class basis at $300/unit, so there is some time in between payments, which many find helpful.


What type of computer/hardware do I need? Will a Chromebook or tablet work?

Both Macs and PCs will work for these classes. You basically need a web browser and a good internet connection. Chromebooks and other tablets would not be good choices.

I have travel / work commitments during the summer. Is it a problem if I miss some synchronous classes?

It depends on the number and timing of classes you’d miss. The classes are synchronous, live meetings and while missing one or two classes might be feasible, anything more would likely not work. Participation in the live class hours is required to meet the academic unit requirements for the class, and the coursework is cumulative.

How is the coursework delivered, and can I fit the program in around my teaching schedule?

All the courses are 100% online. The fall and spring courses are asynchronous, allowing you to work on the material during days and times convenient for you. There will be a few deadlines for project check-in’s and deliverables, but it’s mostly on your time and pace. The summer courses do require daily, live-online meetings. We understand school districts have varying start and end of school dates, and we have tried to create a schedule that works to accommodate most teaching schedules.

What is the time commitment of the courses?

In terms of the amount of time required, so that the courses are eligible for teacher advancement and professional development, they meet the requirement of approx. 45 instructional hours and 90 study and assignment hours for each 3-unit class. In addition to the 10 class meeting hours each week during the summer, you can expect an additional 15–17 hours of work per week on your own time.

I’ve taken some programming / computer science / educational technology classes in the past. Will they be helpful or even meet some program requirements?

Prior learning and courses would be helpful, and especially in the areas of programming or coding if you’re considering the specific authorization, which requires the CSED 590 Software Design, Data Structures, and Algorithms course in the summer. On a case-by-case basis, we are happy to review an unofficial transcript of prior academic coursework to determine whether a class could substitute for one of the program’s courses. Please contact us for additional information.

Does non-academic work experience count toward meeting some requirements of the program? What about professional certifications?

Experience and certifications don’t meet the requirements set by the CTC. The CTC requires academic coursework to measure if a candidate meets the requirements for these types of authorizations. The courses must be completed at an accredited university. 

Can I add the authorization to a CTE credential?

Unfortunately, according to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing Supplementary Authorization Guideline Book, supplementary authorizations may not be added to CTE teaching credentials. However, the program and academic units can be used for professional development.