Chico State Degree Programs in Redding

University Center Redding - FAQ's

Printer-friendly version


Does an established and respected accreditation body accredit the institution or program?

The regional accounting body Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) accredits California State University, Chico. WASC is one of six regional associations that accredit public and private schools, colleges, and universities in the United States. College of Business offerings are also AACSB International (The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) accredited.

Admission Requirements

What is the online registration process?

We have created step-by-step registration process instructions. University Center students interested in registering for a course must follow the procedures outlined at Course Registration Procedures (continuing state-support), Course Registration Procedures (re-admit state-support students) or Open University (allows students who have not been admitted to the university, or who have been denied admission or disqualified, to enroll in state-support courses).

Structure and Delivery

Is the program lock-step (fixed curriculum and set cohort with a prescribed course progression)?

Degree programs vary but most programs allow new students to enter at the start of each semester. You should discuss your academic plan with your advisor.

Are there opportunities for electives?

Yes, electives are available through online courses.

Are there opportunities to exit and re-enter the program?

Students who need to exit the program and then re-enter can apply for a Planned Educational Leave (PEL). Courses are offered on a rotating cycle.

Students who were previously admitted to CSU, Chico but did not register for the previous semester need to complete another University application to be readmitted. This does not apply to undergraduate students who were on a Planned Educational Leave (PEL). Once the application has been processed by Admissions and the student is officially readmitted, the student can then use the portal to register.

Academic Support

What is the availability of academic support services, such as counseling, advising, tutoring, and placement?

Many academic support services are available online or are a telephone call away. Please see our Student Resources page for a complete listing.

Is there some form of help-desk/help-line facility available to distance learners?

Technical support from IT Support Services is available by telephone 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. on Friday (Pacific Time). The toll-free number is 800-780-4387 and the local number is 530-898-4357. You can also contact the Help Desk by email or chat with a live representative. For information about the way online courses are delivered and how to prepare your computer for them, please click here.

What access to library materials and databases is provided by CSU, Chico?

Off-campus students have the same full access to ONLINE library resources as students on campus. For instructions on how to set up your computer to access these resources visit the web page, “Connecting Off-Campus.”

For books and journal articles, students who are eligible may request materials not available in their area from CSU, Chico. For eligibility requirements and instructions, see the web page on requesting materials.    

Performance Expectations

Cconcerning deadlines for assessment, study time requirements, and active participation, off-campus students are expected to meet the same academic requirements as on-campus students. It is important to note online students are expected to keep up with the course on a weekly basis starting on the first week of the semester. The courses are not self-paced.

Program Completion

How long does it take to complete the program?

It depends on which program you decide to complete. Degree completion programs can take two years to four years or more to complete. It really depends on how many courses you take each semester.

Is there a time limit to complete the program?

There is no time limit for completing an undergraduate program. Please refer to the Election of Graduation Requirements And Your Catalog Rights in the University Catalog.

Fees, Payment Policies & Financial Aid

What is the expected payment schedule?

Once you are admitted to the University and have selected your courses, you will be expected to pay your fees by the University deadline. The deadline to pay fees varies from semester to semester. Payment information, including the current deadline, can be found here.

What is the school’s policy for reimbursement of fees upon withdrawal?

See the University’s refund policy.

What is the availability of financial aid/scholarships?

Financial aid and scholarships are available for our degree programs. Students in this program are eligible for the same financial aid opportunities for which they would be eligible if they were attending classes on the Chico campus.

Other Questions

Can I speak to someone by telephone about distance education at CSU, Chico?

Regional &Continuing Education provides administrative support for the University Center. Our staff is available Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. (Pacific Time). Our telephone number is 530-898-6105. Also, for an email letter that includes details about the program and how to apply please fill out this information request form.

I formerly attended CSU, Chico. Can I complete my business degree at the University Center?

It depends on your previous degree program and the amount of time since you last completed course work at Chico. The advisor for the Redding program is Kristina Brown, in the Business Student & Advising Services Office in Chico. She is available by phone (530-898-4480) or by email. Dan Greaney, our coordinator in Redding, can also assist you at 530-339-3652, by email, or by appointment at his office in the University Center in downtown Redding.

What are the admission requirements?

Admission requirements for University Center programs are exactly the same as they are for on-campus students. Check the Office of Admissions website for details.

Can I transfer completed units at CSU, Chico to another institution?

In most situations, transferring CSU, Chico units to another institution is not a problem. Before you enroll, we strongly suggest checking with your advisor at your home campus to confirm that the course(s) will apply to your degree.

Can I enroll in a course without being admitted to the University?

Yes, on a space-available basis, with faculty permission. Non-admitted students may enroll in classes through Open University. Also, Winter Session and Summer Session courses are open to everyone.

What steps must I take to be admitted to the University?

Details are provided at the Apply to University Center Redding web page.

Can I enroll in a course at any time?

University Center courses offered in Redding follow the University Calendar.

When do classes start?

Courses offered in Redding and online follow the regular University Calendar.

Where can I purchase my textbooks?

University Center students can order their textbooks from the CSU, Chico Wildcat Store. Textbooks should be available two to three weeks prior to the semester. On the store website home page, click on “books” under the “Chico State Wildcat Store” logo.

Accessibility Accommodations: If you need special disability accommodations for accessing any information on this website, please contact Regional & Continuing Education. For accommodations for an event, workshop, or online or on-campus class, please contact the CSU, Chico Accessibility Resource Center.