Commonly Asked Questions
Do I have to participate in the Early Start program?
Math: Yes, if your score on the Entry Level Math Test (ELM) is less than 50*.
English: Yes, if your score on the English Placement Test (EPT) is less than 147.
Exemptions: The following students will not be required to participate in Early Start:
- International students and residents of states other than California (non-residents).
- Students participating in the CSU, Chico Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Summer Bridge Program.
For more detailed information on these requirements, please visit the CSU, Chico Admissions web site.
I haven’t taken the ELM / EPT? Am I supposed to?
All incoming freshmen (including out-of-state) are required to take these placement tests unless you are exempt. For complete information, visit
How do I know my ELM/EPT test scores?
What if I have a “Conditional” EAP status?
Your EAP status of “Ready for CSU or participating CCC college-level English and/or math courses - Conditional,” indicates that you have more work to do during 12th grade to ensure you are eligible for college-level English courses (“Ready” status). There are several ways to meet the requirement while you’re still in high school—and avoid taking remedial English courses. Read more information here:
I was told I might need to take Early Start but I’m taking a senior-level class. What should I do?
Once you submit your Confirmation of Final Grade form for your class to the Office of Admissions, your conditional status for will change to exempt and you won’t have to take Early Start. The deadline to submit the form is June 30, 2017.
If you’re not sure you’ll pass the class, we strongly encourage you to take the EPT and/or ELM test as soon as possible. Your score on this test could exempt you from Early Start and allow you to register in a college-level math or English course in the fall.
What are my options for fulfilling the Early Start requirement?
- Complete an Early Start online course(s) this summer through CSU, Chico, or
- Complete the ELM Workshop* at CSU, Chico, or
- Complete an on-campus or online Early Start course this summer at another CSU campus, or
- Complete an appropriate course in mathematics and/or English this summer at a California Community College. Please contact the CSU, Chico Admissions office at 1-800-542-4426 for more information about this option.
* Students who score 42-48 on the ELM will be sent additional information and instructions from the Department of Mathematics and Statistics on how to register for the ELM Workshop.
How do I access my class?
We’ll send you an email telling you when your online class is ready. Go to the Early Start Portal Login web page, and enter your Username and Password. Click on the My Early Start Class link. We’ve created a pdf with step-by-step instructions to help.
Both Early Start English and Early Start Math are taught online in our Blackboard Learn system. All of your class materials will be accessed in Blackboard Learn.
IMPORTANT: It is strongly recommended that you make sure your computer can access your Early Start class the week before your class starts! Once you can login to your class, you can get familiar with your online class by accessing the practice class.
I don’t check into the dorms until after my class starts. Help!
If your move-in date for the residence halls is later than the start of your Early Start English EPIC class or ELM Workshop, you can request an earlier move-in appointment.
- Go to the CSU, Chico Housing website, and click on “Resident Center.”
- You will be prompted to log-in and then be taken to the housing portal.
- Click on “Arrival Date Change Request,” and fill out the forms.
After this process is complete your will receive an e-mail either approving or denying the request. For additional information, contact the CSU, Chico Housing office at 530-898-6325.