CSU Early Start Program
Welcome to Early Start at Chico State!
The Early Start Program (ESP) is a CSU enrollment requirement for first-time freshmen who need help getting ready for college-level English and/or math. The goal of Early Start is to better prepare you in math and English before your first semester even begins so that you have a better chance of completing a college degree.
Summer 2015 Key Dates
- April 15: First day to choose Chico as your Early Start campus through the Chico State Portal
- May 7: Early Start class registration is now open
- June 15: The first Early Start classes begin
View Chico State’s 2015 Early Start Class Schedule
Get Started with Early Start:
- If you are required to take Early Start you will receive notifications with updated information from the Admissions Offices of the CSU campuses to which you’ve applied.
- Confirm your selection to complete Early Start at CSU, Chico. Log into the Portal and go to the Student Center under “Records, Registration & Finance”
- Choose the Early Start class that’s right for you based on your ELM/EPT score and the timing & class format that works best.
- Register for the Early Start class(es) you need by the registration deadline.
- Pay any fees owed to complete your registration. If you are attending Chico State, a fee waiver and/or some or all of your $200 enrollment confirmation deposit may be applied to your Early Start fee(s).
There are several things you can do to ensure that you complete the course(s) and meet the Early Start requirements. We’ve compiled a list of helpful tips & resources for you. Also, become familiar with Blackboard Learn, the online home of your Early Start courses.