Welcome to Early Start 2017 at Chico State!
The Early Start Program (ESP) is a CSU enrollment requirement for first-time freshmen who need help getting ready for college-level English and/or math. The goal of Early Start is to better prepare you in math and English before your first semester even begins so that you have a better chance of completing a college degree.
Do I Need Early Start?
The Chico State Admissions website has detailed information to understand your test scores and know whether you need to take Early Start. Once you know whether it is a requirement, come back here for information about classes, registration, fees, and more.
Summer 2017 Key Dates
- April 1: First day to choose Chico as your Early Start campus through the Smart Page in the Chico State Portal.
- May 8: Early Start class registration opens.
- May 6: Last system-wide date to take the EPT/ELM. Register by April 26.
- June 12: Early Start classes begin.
- June 16: Last day to change your Early Start campus selection through the Smart Page.
Early Start Classes~ Online & Convenient!
All our of classes are online so that you can complete your Early Start requirement no matter where you live, where you’re traveling, or what your summer schedule is like.
- View the Class Schedule
- Wondering how online classes work? Here’s info from our faculty!
Get Started with Early Start:
- If you are required to take Early Start you will receive notifications with updated information from the Admissions Offices of the CSU campuses to which you’ve applied.
- Beginning April 1, confirm your selection to complete Early Start at CSU, Chico. Log into the Portal and go to the Student Center under “Records, Registration & Finance”
- Choose the Early Start class that’s right for you based on your ELM/EPT score and the timing & class format that works best.
- Beginning May 8, register for the Early Start class(es) you need by the registration deadline.
- Pay any fees owed to complete your registration. If you are attending Chico State, a fee waiver and/or some or all of your $200 enrollment confirmation deposit may be applied to your Early Start fee(s).
Prepare for Success!
There are several things you can do to ensure that you complete the course(s) and meet the Early Start requirements. We’ve compiled a list of helpful tips & resources for you. Also, become familiar with Blackboard Learn, the online home of your Early Start courses.
If you have a disability and require reasonable
accommodations for completing ESP course(s) at CSU, Chico, contact the
Accessibility Resource Center as soon as you register.