Learn English in Chico, California American Language & Culture Institute (ALCI Chico) at California State University, Chico
Learn English at California State University, Chico through ALCI Chico
The American Language and Culture Institute (ALCI Chico), located on the campus of California State University, Chico, offers five, seven-week sessions of intensive English language instruction per year to international students of all proficiency levels, from beginning to advanced.
ALCI Chico facilitates a transition from an intensive English language program to an academic program at Chico State or to other colleges and universities in the United States. The program provides general English language skills for students’ personal and professional growth, as well as an introduction to American culture and the higher education system in California and the United States.
Find out why thousands of students around the globe have found Chico to be an excellent place to learn English and prepare for their academic success.
Come to a great University, enjoy beautiful California, meet our great faculty at ALCI Chico and make English your second language (ESL)!
ALCI Chico Special Offerings
- Open University - Take regular California State University, Chico classes.
- Conditional Admission - Conditional Admission to the University without taking the TOEFL. Apply to Cal State Chico pending your English language proficiency assessment.
- TOEFL - Prepare for the TOEFL through ALCI Chico. TOEFL testing offered year-round.
- Math Preparation Courses - Prepare for University entrance exams or college-level math in courses customized for English language learners.
ALCI Chico Features
- A safe, beautiful campus, in an affordable, California college town.
- Small classes with individual attention from experienced faculty and staff
- Conditional admission and access to regular University degree programs and courses for qualified students
- Use of campus facilities including computing, library, health center, recreation and sports facilities
- Fun social, recreational and cultural activities
- Active and fun sports activities and events
- Year-round instruction with a full schedule of courses
- Conversation partners to help you practice your English with native speakers
- Chico, California is a great place! Learn English as your second language (ESL), access a great University, and meet new friends!
ALCI Chico Student NEWS
ALCI Summer Session Luncheon
ALCI students kicked off the start of a new session by going to The Madison Bear Garden, a popular place for students to catch up with friends and grab a tasty burger!
Welcome New ALCI Chico Students! Welcome Back Returning Students! Let’s Learn!
ALCI Chico faculty and staff would like to give a big welcome all of our new and returning students to our summer session classes! You can check out our activity calendar for the months of June and July for upcoming events by clicking on the above photo. This summer’s activities include trips to cafés, farmers markets, recreational and sports activities, live music concerts, movie nights, exercise workouts at the recreation center, bowling, a luau party, a trip to see the San Francisco Giants, and more!
Chico is a great place to learn English, meet native speakers, and experience the wonders of California! Get ready to learn, Wildcats!
Thank You For A Great Spring Session!
Students, faculty and staff gathered recently to celebrate our End of Session Luncheon with great food and wonderful company! Congratulations to all our students who have completed their ALCI program. We thank you for a great spring session!
2013 Dean’s Cup Futbol (Soccer) Tournament
Thanks to all the teams and players who participated in the recent Dean’s Cup Co-ed Soccer Tournament. Six teams (including ALCI Chico) and more than 80 players came out and played. Congratulations goes out to Team Tie Dye who won the tournament for the second year in a row. Good job!
ALCI Students Visit Sacramento, California’s Capital City
Recently our ALCI students and recreation coordinators took a journey to Sacramento. Sacramento is the capital city of California, located 90 miles south of Chico. On their trip, they visited Old Sacramento, a great place to explore the history of The Golden State.
ALCI Students Enjoy the Campus Holi Festival!
ALCI students had an opportunity to join dozens of Chico State students, faculty and staff in the annual Holi Festival celebrated on the Chico State campus. In a wild display of vivid colors, everyone got into the celebration of goodness. They renewed their friendships with the greeting “Happy Holi!”
ALCI Chico San Francisco Trip! How do you spell A L C I ?
What a great time in the Bay! The staff and students of ALCI recently returned from a weekend trip to San Francisco, one of northern California’s largest cities. As you can see, they had a lot of fun, visiting famous sites (can you spot the Golden Gate?), and creating a human logo. Now that’s creativity!