Learn English in Chico, California - The American Language & Culture Institute (ALCI Chico) at California State University, Chico
Learn English at California State University, Chico through ALCI Chico
The American Language and Culture Institute (ALCI Chico)
Located on the campus of California State University, Chico, ALCI Chico offers five, seven-week sessions of intensive English language instruction per year to international students of all proficiency levels, from beginning to advanced.
ALCI Chico facilitates a transition from an intensive English language program to an academic program at Chico State or to other colleges and universities in the United States. The program provides general English language skills for students’ personal and professional growth, as well as an introduction to American culture and the higher education system in California and the United States.
Find out why thousands of students around the globe have found Chico to be an excellent place to learn English and prepare for their academic success.
Come to a great University, enjoy beautiful California, meet our great faculty at ALCI Chico and make English your second (or third!) language (ESL)!
ALCI Chico Special Offerings
- Open University - Take regular California State University, Chico classes.
- Conditional Admission - Conditional Admission to the University without taking the TOEFL. Apply to Cal State Chico pending your English language proficiency assessment.
- Prepare for the TOEFL and IELTS through ALCI Chico. TOEFL and IELTS preparation courses and testing offered year-round.
- Math Preparation Courses - Prepare for University entrance exams or college-level math in courses customized for English language learners.
ALCI Chico Features
- A safe, beautiful campus, in an affordable, California college town.
- Excellent faculty presenting high quality English language courses and curriculum
- Small classes with individual attention from experienced faculty and staff.
- Conditional admission and access to regular University degree programs and courses for qualified students.
- Use of campus facilities including computing, library, health center, recreation and sports facilities.
- Full schedule of fun, social, recreational and cultural activities.
- Year-round instruction with a full schedule of courses.
- Conversation partners to help you practice your English with native speakers.
- Chico, California is a great place! Learn English as your second language (ESL), access a great University, and meet new friends!
ALCI Chico Student News
The Commencement Issue of Inside Chico State magazine features former ALCI Chico student, Min Yeo. Congratulations Min! Congratulations class of 2015!
Thank You for a Great Session!
What a great session! Thank you for making the Chico campus a very special place. Congratulations to all our students!
Congratulations Dean’s Cup Champs!
Thank you all for a great Dean’s Cup! See you on the field next year!
Learning How to Make Kimchi
ALCI Chico students recently gathered at the University Nutrition Lab for a kimchi making workshop. The students had fun learning about lactic acid fermentation and getting a chance to pack their own kimchi in jars. Join us for our next workshop!
Get Ready! Dean’s Cup, Saturday, April 18!
Come out and cheer on ALCI United
and the other teams participating in
the 4th Annual Dean’s Cup Co-ed
Soccer Tournament, Saturday, April 18th,
11:00 AM on the Yolo recreation fields
Contact the office to sign up a team!
Congratulations ALCI United!
Great spring season! ALCI United co-ed soccer team recently finished up a fun spring season playing in the University intramural league. Come to Chico and join ALCI United!
The Chico State campus and the ALCI offices will be closed Tuesday, March 31 in honor of César Chávez Day. Check out Cesar Chavez activities and volunteer events for more information on how you can get involved.
Welcome New and Returning Students
ALCI faculty and staff welcome new and returning students back during the Welcome Lunch at Madison Bear Garden.
Good Times in Sacramento!
Enjoying the California sunshine in front of the California State Capitol Building during a recent adventure to beautiful Sacramento.
Happy Mardi Gras!
Students recently enjoyed Madri Gras festivities on campus.
Downtown and Campus Fun
Students recently joined our recreation leaders at the Farmer’s Market downtown, at the campus rec center and had a chance to bowl at the local bowling alley. Come to Chico to learn English and enjoy northern California.
Welcome to Chico State!
ALCI Chico faculty and staff welcome you to Chico State, a great place to improve your English and start a University degree program.