Registration, Payment & Drops
Log into your Student Center in the Chico State Portal, click the “Early Start” link at the bottom of the page, and select Chico as the campus where you want to complete Early Start. After 1-2 business days, go back into your Student Center in the Portal and register for your class(es) using the instructions below.
The Chico State Portal is where you’ll register for and access your class(es) and view your ESP course scores. To activate your Chico State Portal account, please log on to http://portal.csuchico.edu. You will need your birth date and Chico student ID #.
If you are attending another campus in fall, you’ll receive an email from Chico State Admissions Office with your Chico student ID#. The first emails will be sent around May 4.
** Note: If you are attending another CSU campus, please allow 48 hours after you select Chico as your Early Start campus to be able to activate your Chico State portal account.
To walk you through registration, we created detailed instructions in a pdf file. Please print them out and give it a shot. We promise…it’s easy!
These instructions assume you have already chosen Chico as your campus for completing Early Start. You’ll need to wait 1–2 business days after choosing Chico to register.
If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodations for completing your Early Start class(es) at CSU, Chico, contact the Accessibility Resource Center as soon as you register.
If you need to drop a class, you must do so in the Student Center prior to the registration & payment deadline. To drop before the class starts, follow these steps:
- Log into the Chico State Portal
- Click on the Admissions and Orientation Tab at the top
- Look to the left column on the page and click on Student Center
- Look to the left of Student Center page under first heading of Academics and click Enroll/Drop
- Click on Drop in the middle Enroll tab and select the course to drop. Complete as directed.
If the class has not started and you still want to drop the class after the deadline, send an email with your Name, Student ID, and course to be dropped to email@example.com. Beginning the first day of class, you’re no longer eligible to drop or receive a refund.
If you’ve received a notice in your Student Center that you have an Early Start Fee Waiver, your registration is complete. If you do not have an Early Start Fee Waiver, go back to the Student Center home screen and pay your Early Start Fees.
To Pay by Credit Card:
- Under “Finances,” click Account Inquiry. This window will display the amount you owe.
Note: If you are attending Chico State in the fall, some or all of your $200 enrollment confirmation deposit may be applied to your Early Start course fees so the balance you owe may be reduced.
- If there is a balance due, click Make-A-Payment. A new window for CASHNet Secure Payments will open.
- Click Payment on Account and submit your payment for the balance due.
- Fees must be paid by the class registration & payment deadline.
- There are no drops for non-payment of fees. If you need to drop a class, you must do so in the Service Center prior to the registration & payment deadline.
To Pay by Check, Money Order, or Electronic Check:
Access Your Class
To access your class(s), go to the Early Start Portal Login web page, and enter your Username and Password. Click on the My Early Start Class link.
Both Early Start English and Early Start Math are taught online in our Blackboard Learn system. All of your class materials will be accessed in Blackboard Learn.
IMPORTANT: It is strongly recommended that you make sure your computer can access your Early Start class the week before your class starts! Once you can login to your class, you can get familiar with your online class by accessing the practice class.