Registration, Payment & Drops
Once registration opens on May 8, the Chico State Portal is where you’ll register for and access your class(es) and view your ESP course scores.
Activate Your Portal Account
To activate your Chico State Portal account, please log on to http://www.csuchico.edu/itss/portal/. You will need your birth date and the student ID # emailed to you by the CSU, Chico Admissions Office to activate your account.
Register Beginning May 8
- Log on to your student portal and go to the Student Center. Next, click on the Enroll in Early Start button in the upper left hand corner of the page.
- You are now on the “Add Classes” screen. Click on Search to find the Early Start course(s) you want.
- Click on the drop-down menu under “Course Subject,” choose either Math or English, then click Search again. You will be given a selection of courses listed by date range. Select whichever best meets your needs.
- A screen with all the course details will come up. Click Next to continue.
- You will be returned to the “Add Classes” screen. If you only need one course, then click Proceed to Step 2 of 3 and then click Finish Enrolling.
- If you need both Math AND English, then follow steps 2-6 again to add your other course.
- If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodations for completing ESP course(s) at CSU, Chico, contact the Accessibility Resource Center as soon as you register.
Pay for Your Class(es)
- If you’ve been notified you have an Early Start Fee Waiver, your registration is complete.
- If you do not have an Early Start Fee Waiver, go back to the Student Center home screen and pay your Early Start Fees.
- Under “Finances,” click Account Inquiry. This window will display the amount you owe.
Note: If you are attending Chico State in the fall, some or all of your $200 enrollment confirmation deposit may be applied to your Early Start course fees so the balance you owe may be reduced.
- If there is a balance due, click Make-A-Payment. A new window for CASHNet Secure Payments will open.
- Click Payment on Account and submit your payment for the balance due.
- Fees must be paid by the class registration & payment deadline.
- There are no drops for non-payment of fees. If you need to drop a class, you must do so in the Service Center prior to the registration & payment deadline.
Access Your Class
To access your class(s), go to the Early Start Portal Login web page, and enter your Username and Password. Click on the My Early Start Class link. For step by step instructions with images Click Here.
Both Early Start English and Early Start Math are taught online in our Blackboard Learn system. All of your class materials will be accessed in Blackboard Learn.
IMPORTANT: It is strongly recommended that you make sure your computer can access your Early Start class the week before your class starts! Once you can login to your class, you can get familiar with your online class by accessing the practice class.
Drop a Class
If you need to drop a class, you must do so in the Student Center prior to the registration & payment deadline. To drop before the class starts, follow these steps:
- Log into the Chico State Portal
- Click on the Admissions and Orientation Tab at the top
- Look to the left column on the page and click on Student Center
- Look to the left of Student Center page under first heading of Academics and click Enroll/Drop
- Click on Drop in the middle Enroll tab and select the course to drop. Complete as directed.
If the class has started and you still want to drop the class, you must contact the Center for Regional and Continuing Education by calling 530-898-6105. However, after the class begins, no refund will be given.