Life as a Chico State Student
Participate in an Active California Lifestyle
As an ALCI student you will have the opportunity to participate in many activities through ALCI, Chico State, and the community.
Both formal and informal events will provide valuable opportunities to practice your language skills with native speakers and experience American culture. A concert, a lecture, a game, or a film; there is always something interesting to do on campus.
Chico is a special place, through these activities you will be able to become active in a California lifestyle.
ALCI Social and Cultural Activities
- Welcome lunch at the Bear
- Ice cream social
- Movie Nights on campus
- Taco Tuesdays
- Birthday and holiday parties
- Picnics and barbecues
- Downtown Chico Farmers Market
- Chico Mall shopping
- CSU, Chico International Festival
- Team Building
Short California Trips
- Sacramento Kings NBA Basketball
- California State Capital Sacramento
- Six Flags/Marine World Vallejo
- San Francisco and Berkeley
- Lassen and Yosemite National Parks
- Lake Tahoe - Hiking and Skiing
- Mount Shasta - Hiking and Skiing
- Downtown Chico Farmers Market
- World Music Festival and concerts
California State University, Chico
Chico State is a great place to practice your language skills, experience American culture, meet lifelong friends and become a part of the Chico campus community.
Chico State Campus Student Groups Video
Student Groups on Campus (partial list)
- Adventure Outings
- African Student Union
- American Indian Club
- Arabic Club
- Asociacion de Teatro y Poesia
- Black Leaders on Campus (BLOC)
- Community Action Volunteers in Education (CAVE)
- Chico State Hawaiian Club
- Chico State Men’s and Women’s Ultimate Frisbee Teams
- Filipino American Student Organization
- German Cultural Club
- Hillel/Jewish Student Union
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund Scholar Chapter
- Hmong Student Association
- Indian Student Association
- Iu-Mien Student Association
- Japanese Animation Club
- Japanese Fusion (J*Fusion)
- Korean Student Association (KSA)
- Men of Honor
- NSTA (National Science Teachers Association)
- Pacific Islander Club
- Russian Club
- Saudi Student Association
- Sikh Student Organization
- Southeast Asian Student Association
- Sri Lankan Student Association (TSA)
- Taiwanese Student Association
- The African Diaspora Organization (TADO)
- Pan African Union
- Women of Excellence
About the Chico Area
The City of Chico is located in the Sacramento Valley, a northern California agricultural region, and is surrounded by coastal mountains to the west and the Cascade and Sierra Nevada mountain
ranges to the north and east.
Living in Chico is one of the best things about studying at ALCI.
Chico is a beautiful, friendly, affordable, and University town. With a population of 100,000, Chico combines the charm and comfort of a small college town, with the cultural and recreational offerings of a larger city.
The Chico campus and University housing is located within walking distance to downtown allowing for close access to shopping, dining, and night time entertainment.
Many students choose bicycles as a main mode of transportation around town.
Discover California! Chico is centrally located with hundreds of exciting destinations just a day trip away.
Climate and Weather
The climate is generally mild, except in the hot, dry months of July and August.
Annual rains start in late fall and continue through mid-spring. Winters are mild, with occasional snow falling in the local foothills (rarely on the valley floor).